Questions and answers
Founded by me in July 2023, the purpose of this community interest company is to seek funds to then support learning/training designers and instructors to deliver community projects.
I have worked within learning, change and modernisation since the early 2000s. I enjoy working with enterprises of tens of thousands of employees, and all the people I meet along the way.
I want to use my skills for the good of the community. I also believe dozens of people I've met over the years want a way to do the same. This is the core driver for why I set up Skills For The Community.
My backgrounds are in technology, and fitness; not a typical combination I know. The early day projects will involve helping people learn to improve their health/fitness and technology literacy. Over time, they'll be numerous opportunities to diversify the subject matter we cover.
Here are some of the ideas I have:
- To host an event every 6 months called DesiFit. The purpose is to bring various fitness operators and clubs into a single place, and for members of the public to come and try our classes for free.
- Courses on how to become exercise instructors.
- Courses on health, nutrition and associated health technology.
- Exercise videos, for people to follow along at home.
Long term no. My experience in the community has been with a focus on South Asians for more than 20 years, and for this reason it's where I can make significant impact, and show what's possible.
It's my hope that more people with join in with projects, from a variety of ethnic groups, and our projects will be as diverse and inclusive as we can make them.
- Designed on Canva.
- Managed through TickTick.
- Digital experiences hosted on YouTube, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible and various social media.
- In-person experiences hosted on Eventbrite.
There are core roles:
Designers will collaborate on Canva, to create video courses. Skills required include a good eye for design (which you will learn through the collaboration), as well as your own computer where you can work on Canva.
Instructors will use the courses to teach classes in-person and online.
Managers will coordinate projects, keep them on track or adjust in-flight.
Make sure you're on the right email list. I will use email to invite you to provide your input on projects and other designs. Message me "I am interested in helping with Skills For The Community" projects. It will take many months to stand up the company, so please be patient.